[Taxacom] Thank you GBIF and its data providers .... and a suggestion

Mary Barkworth Mary.Barkworth at usu.edu
Thu Feb 24 12:51:24 CST 2011

For the class that I teach, I have been developing keys to ferns of the region - and those in our greenhouse because there is snow on the ground while the class is taught. This sent me to GBIF to find out where the greenhouse plants are native and the maps are pretty neat. I thought it was time to thank an acronym.

I shall be posting the handout to the web and will be embedding links to the GBIF page. BUT - I have a suggestion. At present the link brings up a long page of text with, at the bottom, a button for "I accept the terms".  When one does, one gets a page with lots of text - and has to scroll down for the map.
SUGGESTION
For the conditions of use page, keep the top part - down through the example - at the top - follow it with the I accept button - and a note that additional information is below and should be read before downloading data. Then on the overview page, bring the map to near the top - with an indication that there is information below.
REASON
There are probably more people who would simply like to see the distribution map and then move on than there are people who want to download and work with data. Make it easy for them to see it. Those who want to download and work with the records themselves should be sufficiently hard core that they will not be deterred by having to scroll down. To me this is simply a matter of marketing - maximizing the ease with which the most appealing aspects are made evident.

Mary