[Taxacom] IPBES: a new challenge (not for cynics)

Francisco Welter-Schultes fwelter at gwdg.de
Tue Jan 11 10:42:32 CST 2011

This is much a sociopolitical problem, on which we currently have
only little influence. What we can certainly do, is to try to
increase our influence a little on the legal preconditions of access
to scientific information.

It is certainly easier to justify a release of copyright protections
for scientific publications of the 1960s and 1970s, because nobody
needs to make money with this information any more.

I see way less chances in getting all scientists (much less
politicians connected with/under pressure of commercial business)
convinced that copyright protections for currently published works
should be omitted, ignored or modified.

As a taxonomist I experience every day that it is easier to work with
literature of the 1860s than of the 1960s. If I am asked why so many
species are not accurately known yet and why there are no solid
compilations of species lists, an important part of the answer is
"because it takes so long to compile all this information from
literature sources published in the past decades". Restricted
literature access in the 1960s-1990s period is definitely an obstacle
for my work.

And the only reason for that is a legal restriction, not a technical
or funding problem for the digitisation of the involved literature
body.

Literature after 2000 is currently easier accessible because I
usually get PDFs of the papers I am interested in.

Francisco

University of Goettingen, Germany
www.animalbase.org