Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Thu Jan 27 10:54:12 CST 2011

Bob, you're not getting it.  The people with the money are the ones that
decide what the money is for.

> You seem to be arguing that McLain's article in Wired has got it wrong,
that
> the acronyms aren't to blame for the decline of taxonomy at all, that the
two
> enterprises (learning new things, and gathering up what's already learnt
and
> making it more easily available) can work side by side with occasional
happy
> cross-fertilisation. Sounds good, in principle. What McLain and I and
others
> are pointing out is that the first enterprise is dying, the second is
booming
> and the cross-fertilisation is massively one-way and in the wrong
direction.

It would appear that you either didn't read, or didn't understand, my
original post.  As I already said, the article was great (only one paragraph
of which hinted at the idea that money spent on databases might be better
spent funding taxonomists).  You (not McLain) are fixated on deck chairs,
while the ship is sinking.

Rich