[Taxacom] Impediments to biodiversity data sharing

Frederick W. Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Sat Jan 1 18:38:04 CST 2011

On 12/31/2010 4:55 AM, Roderic Page wrote:

> Thanks for the link to Froese et al., http://filaman.uni-kiel.de/ifmgeomar/rfroese/ConcernsDataowners.pdf which is a rather more nuanced
> study than my suggestion that the issue is either fear or arrogance(!)
> I've added their report to the "Data citation" group on Mendeley (http://www.mendeley.com/groups/544621/data-citation/
>    ), which contains a number of papers on this topic.

* I've had similar concerns - http://pinicola.ca/h2001a.htm - although
without the commercial angle the fishbase folks find with fishery data.

One of the ideas I've had, in dealing (unsucessfully) with data
"owners," back in 1992 when DAPCAN was negotiating for core data for
provincial herpetological databases, was that once the database was
established each release of records to a user should aggregate the
released records by original observer, and that the release, and any
resulting manuscripts, should be circulated to those who contributed
more than a threshold percentage of the records. This could be done
automatically, and would uphold scholarly standards of courtesy, allow
observers to see how their data were being used, and give them the
opportunity to comment on the use. I was pleased to see that Froese et
al. suggest similar internal and automatic manipulations of the records
to solve the various problems with fisheries data.

fred.
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Thirty Years Later Expedition -
http://fragileinheritance.org/projects/thirty/thirtyintro.htm