[Taxacom] Closed-source implementation

Timothy Jones tjone54 at tigers.lsu.edu
Sun Jan 2 17:47:31 CST 2011

Dear Dr. Mesibov,
I apologize for not testing with Linux.  You are the second person to bring
this to my attention. Am curious if it works with Moonlight?  Can you
recommend a good Linux  emulator?
Other issues: a bug with Mozilla on Macs.  The fonts are rendered too small.
 If anyone else sees this or any other weirdness, would love to know about
it off list.    All other OSes/browsers check out with the exception of
Linux/MacMozilla obviously.
Here is a video of a previous version that can be used as a tutorial of
functions and for those that cannot install Silverlight.
http://www.herbarium.lsu.edu/keys/video/video.html

Helpful hint - use the  scroll wheel on a mouse to zoom in an out of images,
much better than clicking on them IMHO.

Best,
Tim

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Bob Mesibov <mesibov at southcom.com.au> wrote:

> Richard,
>
> When I click on
>
> http://www.herbarium2.lsu.edu/aaa/index.html
>
> in my browser I get a message saying 'To view this content please install
> Microsoft Silverlight'. That's pretty disappointing these days, even if
> Microsoft has unbent enough to allow Novell to write Moonlight, which can
> run most of Silverlight's functions in browsers not running on Windows
> machines.
>
> Why, since nearly every browser on the planet already has Flash or an
> equivalent (I use Gnash in Iceweasel on Debian Linux), has the developer (or
> developers) gone for the closed-source Silverlight? The rest of the LSU
> Herbarium site doesn't seem to require Silverlight. Let's hope the Carex
> site is migrated in time to the open and universal HTML5, so I can view it,
> too.
> --
> Dr Robert Mesibov
> Honorary Research Associate
> Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery, and
> School of Zoology, University of Tasmania
> Home contact: PO Box 101, Penguin, Tasmania, Australia 7316
> Ph: (03) 64371195; 61 3 64371195
> Webpage: http://www.qvmag.tas.gov.au/?articleID=570

> methods:
>
> (1) http://taxacom.markmail.org
>
> Or (2) a Google search specified as:  site:

Timothy M. Jones
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
Website - http://www.herbarium.lsu.edu/keys/