[Taxacom] Closed-source implementation

Timothy Jones tjone54 at tigers.lsu.edu
Sun Jan 2 18:05:35 CST 2011

Two apologies in five minutes.  Sorry.  Lucid keys only work with Java
Virtual Machine (JVM)  installed.  And only then.  If not installed,  you
get the grey screen of death on the load attempt and it does not prompt you
or inform you of why.   Trust me, have received many emails over this issue.
 Plus the html floats to the top of page.
Best,
Tim

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 5:49 PM, Bob Mesibov <mesibov at southcom.com.au> wrote:

> Richard,
>
> Sorry, I didn't mean to distract you with what's on my particular computer.
>
> The point I'm making is that a biodiversity website aimed at the world in
> general should work in any browser, and shouldn't announce to Joe Public,
> 'Look, you're going to need a special piece of software to see this, and
> that software may not work in your browser.'
>
> Sort of goes against the idea of an open Web, universal access,
> biodiversity info available to anyone, anywhere? Even Lucid keys work on any
> computer.
> --
> Dr Robert Mesibov
> Honorary Research Associate
> Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery, and
> School of Zoology, University of Tasmania
> Home contact: PO Box 101, Penguin, Tasmania, Australia 7316
> Ph: (03) 64371195; 61 3 64371195
> Webpage: http://www.qvmag.tas.gov.au/?articleID=570

> methods:
>
> (1) http://taxacom.markmail.org
>
> Or (2) a Google search specified as:  site:

Timothy M. Jones
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
Website - http://www.herbarium.lsu.edu/keys/