[Taxacom] a delayed reaction

fautin at ku.edu fautin at ku.edu
Sun Jan 2 21:06:40 CST 2011

To add a perspective from a group of which the evolutionary history is
very obscure, in which features that are useful for identification may not
be phylogenetically informative, and in which the few classifications that
exist are very different, Phylocode would be very unstable.  Yes, if you
know the evolutionary history, it may work -- but the Linnaean system can
be adjusted to reflect our current ideas about phylogeny (after all, it
was designed to reflect phylogeny, too -- it is just that names have had
the inertia of the understanding of the time they were created).  If you
don't know the evolutionary history, it does not.  And by evolutionary
history, I do not mean simply matching gene sequences.  After all,
attributes such as behavior and morphology have evolved, and their signals
cannot be ignored if we hope to understand biology (not just create
trees).

Any system is likely to collect the same sort of inertia as the
Linnaean IF it remains relatively stable.  And if it does not -- if it can
track changes daily -- then stability is the loser.  Because, of course,
our understanding of evolutionary history changes through time -- we like
to think we are ever approaching Nirvana, but we have no really good way
to know (save divine affirmation).  So I am amused by these messages that
assume knowledge of the REAL phylogeny, which leads to derogatory labels
for taxa that do not conform to it.

Daphne G. Fautin
Professor, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
Curator, Natural History Museum and Biodiversity Research Center
Haworth Hall
University of Kansas
1200 Sunnyside Avenue
Lawrence, Kansas 66045-7534  USA

telephone 1-785-864-3062
fax 1-785-864-5321
evo user name fautin
website www.nhm.ku.edu/~inverts

       direct to database of hexacorals, including sea anemones
               newest version released 1 December 2009
         ***http://hercules.kgs.ku.edu/Hexacoral/Anemone2***