[Taxacom] Paraphyletic species and paraphyletic higher taxa

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at mobot.org
Tue Jan 4 16:17:42 CST 2011

Phylogenetic trees are not reconstructions of evolution, they are structures of data. Darwin produced a theory of evolution from structures of data, involving informal clustering. Phylogeneticists refuse to produce theories of evolution of descent with modification particular to cluster-produced structures of information about some group.

There is one diagram in the Origin of Species. It is more like a Besseyan cactus than a cladogram.

Richard H. Zander
Web sites: http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/resbot/ and http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/bfna/bfnamenu.htm
Modern Evolutionary Systematics Web site: http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/resbot/21EvSy.htm