[Taxacom] Paraphyletic species and paraphyletic higher taxa

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at mobot.org
Wed Jan 5 08:30:58 CST 2011

The "prickly problems with Darwinism" are the USUAL problems with scientific theories. There are far fewer "problems" with structuralist patterns of data, because patterns of data are facts, that is, well-documented observations (in which I include cluster analysis by raw similarity or shared advanced traits or whatever). Thus, "((ab)c)" is a fact. "b is derived from a" is a theory. We can avoid problems by finding well-supported facts and applying rules to them. The vast burgeoning of systematics papers is due in my opinion to (1) by avoiding theory, even kids can do the studies, and (2) public funding of what appears to be rocket science, so even kids can make money.

Say, John, are the "tracks" of Croizatian biogeography theories involving causation or connection through time? or structuralist patterns?

R.

Richard H. Zander
Web sites: http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/resbot/ and http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/bfna/bfnamenu.htm
Modern Evolutionary Systematics Web site: http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/resbot/21EvSy.htm