[Taxacom] IPBES: a new challenge (not for cynics)

Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Mon Jan 10 23:08:49 CST 2011

Since there has been no mention of this new UN body, here it is:
Intergovernmental Platform for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES),
created at the UN General Assembly on December 21, 2010, at the end of the
Year Of Biodiversity. It is a very late offshoot of the Rio Earth Summit
1992 that created the Convention on Biological Diversity, the only global
platform to talk about biodiversity at global and national level that has an
impact on what governments do (despite Uncle Sam didn't sign up on it). It
lead to decisions such as protection 17% of the land - for many of us a very
elusive and a term with little to build upon. Nevertheless, without this
process, even less would have happened in the conservation.

One part of this "Failure" we have to blame on ourselves that we are not
able to provide more assistance to the important effort to conserver our
biodiversity. We still discuss what a name means, but are unable to provide
even a list of all the worlds known species, not to speak of an agenda of
how to discover and monitor the rest. We still publish works that are
difficult to get, almost impossible to mine and with little access to the
underlying data.

I think it is a very exciting challenge to see, how much of our reports and
scientific publications will end up in the the assessments of the IPBES that
is mainly focused on mining and extracting information from scientific
reports. It will not happen over night and without a lot of arm twisting -
but Harold Mooney needed almost twenty year to get IPBES and ecosystems
services its own platform. So, why not make sure, that taxonomic work will
become one of the corner stones of IPBES?!

It depends

Donat

http://unep.org/Documents.Multilingual/Default.asp?DocumentID=653
<http://unep.org/Documents.Multilingual/Default.asp?DocumentID=653&ArticleID
=6872&l=en&t=long> &ArticleID=6872&l=en&t=long

http://www.ipbes.net/

Dr. Donat Agosti

President

Plazi

Research Associate, American Museum of Natural History and Naturmuseum der
Burgergemeinde Bern

Email: agosti at amnh.org

Web:  <http://antbase.org/> http://antbase.org /  <http://plazi.org/>
http://plazi.org