[Taxacom] IPBES: a new challenge (not for cynics)

Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Tue Jan 11 06:50:24 CST 2011

This seems to me a too easy an answer. If we do not control where and how we
publish then we better don't since our knowledge and data is out of our
control. Also from the point of view I can not accept that I pay your
research and then have to pay again for publication to a publisher over
which I have no control.

The lesson for the future then has to be to change the system so we control
it. There are good starting points such as zookeys at Pensoft which is full
oa, or others like Zootaxa that offer at least the option (that
unfortunately far too few of us chose). Another lesson from our community is
to make it mandatory to publish Open access. And if would be to my taste
make the publications machine readable and all the underlying data has to be
linked. We should really invest in our future to avoid the pitfalls your
refer to. But this is an old issue..

Donat