[Taxacom] Conservation (Canadian coin controversy)

Robin Leech releech at telus.net
Wed Jan 12 00:25:51 CST 2011

Hi Ken,
You do not understand Canadian law.  There may be several species that
are as common as dirt in the US, but which only marginally occur and
survive by their toe nails in Canada.  The horned-lizard, Phrynosoma
douglasi, is one example.  And we have tried to re-establish the Prairie
Dog and the Black-footed ferret are two more examples.  And I think
the kit fox, too.
The 3 mammal species have been re-introduced, but I am not sure of
the success.  The lizard could easily be extirpated in Canada with a few
cool wet summers.
Consider the Lynx and wolves captured in Canada and taken to former
ranges in the US.  Same process in reverse.  A national park does not
have to be involved, but it helps from the "keep the bad guys from shooting
them" perspective.
Robin