[Taxacom] IPBES: a new challenge (not for cynics)

Dr Brian Taylor dr.brian.taylor at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 12 06:26:03 CST 2011

Donat,

What you say is very true but not too long ago I posted the following on
Taxacom -

"The liberation of dissemination and availability of literature that should
have become cheap and easy has been frustrated by publishers demanding large
sums of money for publication and for access.

I spent many years working in developing (poor) countries and now have
developed entirely free to access and (from the many contacts) very
successful websites on ants.  What I have found, however, is that vested
interests and "anonymous referees" have blocked several submissions of a
more formal nature on ant taxonomy.  On ³peer review² for taxonomy, at
least, synonymy will counter duplicate names.  I emailed quite recently to
Zoobank suggesting registration of new species accompanied by deposition of
(say) a pdf with them seems a very sensible solution to prevent later
changes to an original description.

If and when the ICZN pulls its finger(s) out, perhaps commonsense will
prevail.

Some one suggested Zookeys to me but the page charges are horrendous for
someone, in my case retired, without access to any substantial external
funding.  Zoobank may not charge for monochrome images but try the
sensible/essential modern colour photos!"

My website on African ants that you kindly support has open, free, access,
to all my observations.  However, this time last year, I recall, you among
others, told me my descriptions of new species were invalid as not complying
with the ICZN Code. Discussion of a new code seems to have died/stalled with
the sceptics and I am starting to feel that VOLUNTARY code perhaps should
become extinct if the ICZN cannot move with the times.

Zoobank did not reply.

My website now is archived by the British Library, so posterity is not
something I see as a problem.

Brian