[Taxacom] Conservation (Canadian coin controversy)

murrellze murrellze at appstate.edu
Wed Jan 12 07:38:46 CST 2011

Ken,

Although I'm not familiar with this "coin controversy" I do think it is
worth noting that protection of populations at the periphery of a
species' range is a worthwhile and important part of conservation in
general.  These peripheral populations may possess unique alleles or
they may exist in unique habitats.  Sounds like the inclusion of
multiple types of "rarity" on this coin provides an excellent
opportunity to help educate the public on conservation biology issues.

Zack Murrell