[Taxacom] Conservation (Canadian coin controversy)

Kenneth Kinman kennethkinman at webtv.net
Wed Jan 12 19:20:42 CST 2011

Hi Robin,
      Actually I think it would have been a great idea to have included
the black-footed ferret on this coin.  It is truly an endangered species
throughout its entire range (and was for a time thought to be extinct).
And it actually occurs in a Canadian park (Grasslands National Park).
After being re-introduced there in late 2009, at least one litter of
kits was born in 2010.  This is near the northernmost periphery of its
natural range.  Anyway, the southern maidenhair fern doesn't come even
close to it as an effective ambassador for endangered species and
conservation in general.
      --------Cheers,
                         Ken
P.S.  Speaking of the "bad guys" shooting endangered species, three
whooping cranes were recently shot and killed in Georgia.  They were
juveniles on their first migration (three of the five released this past
fall as part of the Direct Autumn Release program).
Hi Ken,
You do not understand Canadian law.  There may be several species that
are as common as dirt in the US, but which only marginally occur and
survive by their toe nails in Canada.  The horned-lizard, Phrynosoma
douglasi, is one example.  And we have tried to re-establish the Prairie
Dog and the Black-footed ferret are two more examples.  And I think the
kit fox, too. The 3 mammal species have been re-introduced, but I am not
sure of the success.  The lizard could easily be extirpated in Canada
with a few cool wet summers.
Consider the Lynx and wolves captured in Canada and taken to former
ranges in the US.  Same process in reverse.  A national park does not
have to be involved, but it helps from the "keep the bad guys from
shooting them" perspective.
Robin