[Taxacom] Publishing in ZooKeys

L Penev lyubo.penev at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 04:57:15 CST 2011

Brian:

The "horrendous" price of ZooKeys is EUROs 15 per page (besides the
discounts/waivers - thanks, Bob, for this clarification!) and include
producing of PDF, semantically enhanced HTML and XML versions, full-color
print (at no additional cost), automated dissemination of published
information and several other components of advanced publishing practices. I
really would like to know about other journals in biodiversity or other
domains that offer all these services for this price.

Apart from the services themselves, the price also includes unlimited and
free access to all published content.

Best regards,

Lyubomir

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 11:50 PM, Bob Mesibov <mesibov at southcom.com.au>wrote:

> Brian Taylor wrote:
>
> "Some one suggested Zookeys to me but the page charges are horrendous for
> someone, in my case retired, without access to any substantial external
> funding."
>
> ZooKeys waives charges in such cases. From the ZooKeys website:
>
> Discounts and Waivers
>
> Open Access Publication Fees are usually covered by institutional funds and
> grants. We understand, however, that many scientists work either privately,
> or under harsh financial conditions, or continue enjoying their work after
> retirement. Therefore, this journal offers the following discount and waiver
>
>    * Discount of 10 % is offered to:
>          o Scientists working privately
>          o Members of institutions who have subscribed for the print
> version of this journal
>          o Graduate and PhD students, if they are first authors
>          o Scientists living and working in lower-middle-income countries (
> http://www.worldbank.org/data/countryclass/classgroups.htm), if they are
> sole authors of a manuscript.
>    *  Discount of 15 % is offered to:
>          o The journal's editors and active reviewers (3 or more reviewed
> manuscripts during the previous and present calendar year)
>    * Waivers (once per year per (co-) author, for manuscripts not larger
> than 10 printed pages, or for the first 10 pages of a larger mansucript) are
> offered to:
>          o Retired scientists
>          o Scientists living and working in low-income countries (
> http://www.worldbank.org/data/countryclass/classgroups.htm), if they are
> sole authors of a manuscript.
>
> --
> Dr Robert Mesibov
> Honorary Research Associate
> Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery, and
> School of Zoology, University of Tasmania
> Home contact: PO Box 101, Penguin, Tasmania, Australia 7316
> Ph: (03) 64371195; 61 3 64371195
> Webpage: http://www.qvmag.tas.gov.au/?articleID=570

> methods:
>
> (1) http://taxacom.markmail.org
>
> Or (2) a Google search specified as:  site:

Dr Lyubomir Penev
Managing Director
Pensoft Publishers
13a Geo Milev Street