[Taxacom] Publishing in ZooKeys

León, Blanca R leon at austin.utexas.edu
Thu Jan 13 11:55:07 CST 2011

I have followed with high interest the discussion on peer-reviewed on-line publications, and I would like to offer a perspective as an associate editor of two South American peer-reviewed- with on-line versions- journals: "Ecología en Bolivia" and "Revista peruana de biología".

For economic-constrain countries like Peru and Bolivia, publication of scientific journals are mostly subsidy by their hosting institutions (public funded universities). Similar to the case presented by Simon Teiller, these public institutions have been, so far, the only way to maintain permanent infrastructure linked to the natural sciences, and to provide the conditions (some editorial support) for scientific journals.

Topics in taxonomy, natural history and ecology are the main subjects for those two journals, although recently there is an increase in reporting phylogeographic information. For these two journals there are no cost (by now) to the authors. Rate of review and responses to submission varies between three to six months, and publication within one year of acceptance. However, few biologists from outside of these two countries have supported these scientific journals with submission of manuscripts or with citations of work published in them, and in many cases have opted instead for expensive "open-access" publications. Performance evaluations in relation to publication speed appear to be the main factor favoring on-line only publications.

Blanca

Blanca León, Ph.D.
leon at austin.utexas.edu
Plant Resources Center