[Taxacom] IPBES: a new challenge (not for cynics)

Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Fri Jan 14 04:24:43 CST 2011

Dear Francesco

You make a point, that only an expert can understand whether a description
can be used or not, ie be trusted.
That essentially precludes that an ecologist can you your work, and means
that you do not trust your colleagues. I always thought that science is
about trust because you can reproduce the results. If you have a treatment
and all the specimens properly listed and today digitally documented, be it
through images in the text or external resources, you could do this.
You cannot do it, if you continue publishing in cryptic ways by not listing
material examined properly or on other places in the text. Open access
allows not only you to click an see a specimen on the Internet, but
eventually machines can do the work for you, and the chances are increasing
with ever more people digitizing their material. So we will have material to
link to as well.

You make a point, that you need the entire publication.
With your statement, that you need context, you make the best case that it
is imperative that we have access to the entire document and thus need open
access. Certainly, treatments are only a starting point. But they are ONE.
Having nothing is certainly less helpful - the alternative you mourne.

You need to see high quality prints:
So make them available online, linked to the publications. You can provide
much better access then the best prints can do. Keep the prints, but publish
them online so that they are available and can be used. You are not the only
person that has an idea what to do with it. Alternatively open access would
allow both....

A last point: you can get a pdf.
Sure you can get a pdf, if you are a good friend of mine, or if you live in
an institution that has the fortune to pay all the horrendous subscription
fees. But at least 80% of the users of antbase do not have the priviledge
unless somebody makes the effort to scan and originally asked for
permission, which is a huge work in itself.
And see Pencheff threat, and the case, when I am not your good friend.

Even though most of this pdfs are hardly structured, thanks to google you
can run full text searches and find things in a much more efficient way then
you reading one paper after the other. Another reason to have them open
acces.

Donat

.