[Taxacom] IPBES: a new challenge (not for cynics)

Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Fri Jan 14 05:22:31 CST 2011

To get back to the begin of this thread:

I need textual content - introduction, methods, results, conclusions,
references - and image content. If you would ask me about the "data"
I could extract from such a paper I would answer "please, the whole
text and all the images".

Reading this, I understand, that I cannot take a specimen record straight
off the publication and assume that it belongs to a particular species. If
this is a priori so, then why do we publish?
I am aware that there are mistakes, similar to what is happening in GenBank.
But with access to more and more of the data and tools to detect strange
things, such as a sequence that must belong to a different taxon, we can
reduce the risk of wrong identification.
I am rather on the side that believes a priori that things are correct and
think this ought to be in the ethic of science to strive for this.

Otherwise, your scenario makes taxonomy completely obsolete - what does it
say about our environment? Clouds of thoughts

Donat