[Taxacom] IPBES: a new challenge (not for cynics)

Francisco Welter-Schultes fwelter at gwdg.de
Fri Jan 14 07:56:56 CST 2011

Donat,
In my taxonomic field science is not as straightforward as your
concept seems to imply, if I don't misunderstand you in important
points.

It is not a question of mistakes, presence or absence of information,
correctness or completeness of data or things like that, that leads
me to taxonomic conclusions and finally will enable me to tell you
how many species of a certain group we have in Europe. You must
imagine such things in a much finer tuning. It is much more a
question of how results are obtained and interpreted.

Maybe it is easier in other groups, but at least in molluscs science
is not so easy. It is not done with looking up sufficient specimens
and then the results will come automatically.

Francisco

University of Goettingen, Germany
www.animalbase.org