[Taxacom] gorilla-chimp

Kenneth Kinman kennethkinman at webtv.net
Sat Jan 15 18:49:45 CST 2011

Hi Michael,
       Unfortunately, I know of no reference which brings together the
scattered literature and data on SINEs and LINEs in gorillas and chimps.
Hopefully, whoever is doing a paper on comparing the whole genomes of
the great apes will do so (as well as on karyotypic data).
       In one paper that I found yesterday, the last lines of the
abstract note a trend where many human chromosomes have a more ancestral
karyotype, "while African great apes present with more derived
chromosome arrangements."   While orangutan karyotypes seem to show that
ALL of their chromosomes are of the ancestral great ape arrangement (I
have seen no karyotypic data which supports hominids clading exclusively
with orangutans; sorry John).  My experience has been that karyotypic
data seems to strongly support my preferred phylogeny:
      orangutan (hominid (chimp, gorilla))                Anyway, he is
a weblink to the abstract of that paper:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15545720

        Of course, karyotypic data alone is not enough,
and it needs to be supplemented and corroborated by SINEs and
LINEs.  For example, Yue et al., 2005 (Genomics, 85:36-37) state
that "Approximately 200 kB of the human 3q21.3 sequence was not present
on the homologous orangutan, siamang and Old World monkey chromosomes."
However, it is present in chimps and gorillas, as well as humans.
Unfortunately this particular LINE is only evidence of the larger
hominid-chimp-gorilla clade, and has no bearing on chimp-gorilla clade
vs. chimp-hominid clade.  A thorough whole genome study of the great
apes should provide a wealth of information beyond just SINEs and LINES.
I can hardly wait!!!  Anyway, I don't plan to do much more literature
searching until such a study comes out.
Michael wrote:
          can you give us a reference for the
SINES/LINES data on gorilla-chimp?