[Taxacom] BHL & GBIF data vetted

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Mon Jan 17 16:57:40 CST 2011

following on with more comments ...

one crucial aspect to any good system for presenting biodiversity informatics
data is that it allows *anyone* who notices an error to easily flag it or
preferably fix it. It is clear how the wiki system facilitates this, but not
clear to me how your "finished PDFs" handle it???

to make the more general point once again: the problem for biodiversity
informatics in the world today is that there are too many independent
initiatives, all wanting to "do it their way", and aften trading on their own
supposed "authority". We *must* develop better ways to make info verifiable to
the end user if they need to, and recognise that many people have a part to play
in making available good biodiversity data, so there is no point claiming
authority and excluding others from being able to contribute, for the inevitable
result will be a global biodiversity informatics data quality crisis ... if
indeed we don't have that already ...

Stephen