[Taxacom] BHL & GBIF data vetted

Wolfgang Lorenz faunaplan at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 18 09:39:46 CST 2011

Hi Stephen & All,

I will certainly agree when you point to some fantastic advantages of the
permanent *manuscript stage* that is in the wiki system and other dynamic
online projects, but the flux in e-published taxonomic information is not
without certain problems.

In the paper-print era, taxonomy was progressing largely in time-stamped
*finished* worksteps with clear authorship, which could be summarized/
interpreted from a current point of view.
In the electronic media, we now have an increasing number of
work-in-progress with unclear, often changing authorships. This does have
consequences on our ability to manage information tied to taxonomic names, -
and probably it was this situation that led to projects like "Global Names
Architecture" where biodiversity informaticians are trying to make sense out
of *naked* namestrings that are more or less stripped from usage context, -
names that are no longer interpretable "chresonyms".
My impression is, biodiversity informatics could proceed much more
straightforward if we had a better distinction between online information
that is in manuscript stage and *finished* (preferrably reviewed) worksteps
that are intended for permanent, public, scientific record.
We have been discussing similar things with e-publication of Code-relevant
acts. I think there's a wider issue: E.g., what counts as "usage" in the
sense of  the Code, e.g., in context with "prevailing usage"...?

Greetings,
Wolfgang