[Taxacom] Map floristic regions Takhtajan

Vladimir Gusarov vladimir.gusarov at nhm.uio.no
Tue Jan 25 04:45:37 CST 2011

Dear Niels,

A world map is printed on the inner side of both front and back covers
of the 1986 book. Unfortunately, the boundaries are shown only down to
region level. There are several maps in the text (e.g. on page 49) that
show the province boundaries, but it appears that for many parts of the
world the boundaries are only described and have never been illustrated.

A Russian (1978) version of the book has been scanned and is posted on
several websites, e.g.
http://herba.msu.ru/shipunov/school/books/takhtajan1978_flor_oblasti_zemli.djvu

The last page of this scan contains a color map, showing the boundaries
down to region level. Interestingly, on some occasions there is a
difference between the 1986 and 1978 boundaries
(Circumboreal/Irano-Turanian regions).

If you find a better map or a map that could be used in GIS please let
me know.

Cheers,

Vladimir

On 25.01.2011 10:15, Raes, N. (Niels) wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I am going through "The floristic regions of the world" by Armen
> Takhtajan (1986) and I was wondering, or better expecting that a map
> showing the delineation of the regions should exist. (Preferably in GIS
> format; i.e. shape). Does anyone know where I can find either a printed
> or digital map showing Takhtajan's regions?
>
> Best,
>
> Niels

> (1) http://taxacom.markmail.org

Vladimir Gusarov, Ph.D.
Curator of Entomology
University of Oslo
Natural History Museum
Department of Zoology                        \\ /
P.O. Box 1172 Blindern                   ooooDD0-0C
NO-0318 Oslo                                 // \
Norway
Tel +47 22851703
Fax +47 22851837
email: vladimir.gusarov at nhm.uio.no

Visiting address:
Sars Gate 1
NO-0562 Oslo

Insect collection:
http://www.nhm.uio.no/forskning-samlinger/forskning/forskningsgrupper/nsi/english/collection/
National Center for Insect Biodiversity:
http://www.nhm.uio.no/forskning-samlinger/forskning/forskningsgrupper/nsi/english/
Nasjonalt Senter for Insektbiodiversitet: http://www.insektsenteret.no
Personal web page:
http://www.nhm.uio.no/forskning-samlinger/forskning/forskningsgrupper/nsi/english/collection/gusarov/