[Taxacom] Funding begets biodiversity

Bob Mesibov mesibov at southcom.com.au
Thu Jan 27 18:30:33 CST 2011

Many thanks for the post, it points to the converse of the already obvious need for salvage sampling.

The same happens on a local scale. In a 1996 report (http://www.daff.gov.au/rfa/regions/tasmania/environment/bioregions) I described the 'magic coupe' effect. ('Coupe' in Tasmanian forestry is an operational land unit.) If a native forest coupe is intensively sampled for invertebrates before logging, it is highly likely that new species will turn up as well as range extensions for already known species, some of conservation concern. The coupe becomes special ('magic') and gets money and time thrown at it. It may, however, not be magic at all, it's just that we're ignorant of its biogeographic context. Another coupe which doesn't get the sampling may be far more important for species conservation. It doesn't get the attention because conservation priority follows the geographic bias in funding.
--
Dr Robert Mesibov
Honorary Research Associate