Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Thu Jan 27 21:07:34 CST 2011

Rich,
I cannot speak for Hawaii, or for the biota of the oceans, or for anything
really, except for a few things, such as New Zealand beetles for one. The point
I was trying to make is that after 10+years of intensive field observation and
collecting, I *never once* encountered a native beetle species that there wasn't
already at least 1 specimen of in collections. In N.Z., there just aren't untold
multitudes of native beetles going extinct faster than we can collect and
preserve specimens of them - that is pure fiction! Yet, certain entomologists
continue to divert a significant amount of funding to travelling around the
country every summer, setting mass capture traps, and only ever picking out one
or two things "of interest" to them, while the backlog of unworked material in
collections grows at an alarming rate. It is just *too easy* to say that you are
collecting for "the future", when, as the saying goes, "tomorrow never comes",
and people are just collecting more bulk samples from the same places as they
were set decades ago and still not sorted ...
Stephen