[Taxacom] Funding biodiversity?

Kenneth Kinman kennethkinman at webtv.net
Thu Jan 27 22:26:35 CST 2011

Dear All,
       I was rather shocked back in November 2009 when I read that NSF
(and other federal agencies, even the Environmental Protection Agency of
all things?) funded research to study huge number of moose carcasses at
Isle Royal, Michigan.  The results purportedly showed that wolf-killed
moose added to "biodiversity"----as if dead moose wouldn't have done the
same when they died from other causes.  I could not fathom that money
spent on such research contributed to biodiversity in any really
meaningful way.
       More recently the same university has been spending money
researching moose arthritis.  Yes, ARTHRITIS in the same moose
population at Isle Royal.  How does this kind of research get priority
over real biodiversity research?  Read more about the arthritis research
here:

http://www.physorg.com/news194717322.html

P.S.  Not that the U.S. government doesn't waste far larger amounts of
money on other things (like agricultural subsidies to owners of fat-cat
industrial farms raking in the corporate welfare) or other forms of
corporate welfare.  Still, it shows how the relatively small
"biodiversity pie" get diverted into things such as studying moose at
Isle Royal---like that really has much to do with real biodiversity.
Talk about fiddling "while Rome burns".  Why spend money on moose and
wolves in North America when our great apes relatives (chimps,
orangutans, and gorillas) are far more in danger of extinction in the
wild.  But then again, the hundreds of billions spent on the wars in
Iraq and Afghanistan (defending wealthy corporations far more than
people in general) is even more wasteful.  That's an enormorous economic
"pie" that is largely money poured down a rat hole (not to mention all
the lives lost among both the military and innocent civilians).  THERE
IS NOTHING MORE WASTEFUL THAN WAR, and it difficult to justify any war
that has been waged since World War II.   Intensive studies of moose at
Isle Royal may seem minor in comparison, but I think the biodiversity
"pie" would be better spent on other taxa.