Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Fri Jan 28 02:56:39 CST 2011

Here are few slides of Philippe Bouchet's lecture at the EDIT 5 years
meeting last week illustrating Simon's point
http://biodivcontext.blogspot.com/

They are very illustrative. The world is changing, and we only now begin to
understand what the world is. Not least, because we have databases that give
us this insight. It actually shows, how little we know about ourselves and
the way we operate.

Imagine, if we would have all the 17,000+ descriptions online and
semantically enhanced, linked to name servers, ontologies, bibliographies,
specimen DB, image DBs, then we could operate much more efficiently, support
the huge number of taxonomists beyond our institutions, and eventually
support with this collaborations our own huge infrastructure, the herbaria
and natural history museums.

The second meeting after the EDIT 5, the Scripting Life conference
(http://vbrant.eu/scripting-life) provided a very interesting development in
the IT field, that is to provide the taxonomists platforms (in this
scratchpads) that provides tools to amalgamate all the increasingly
available online or digitized information and data, edit the data, prepare
new descriptions and publish them directly from this platform through a
submission function to publishers that are able to ingest taxpub XML. This
is being developed in collaboration between ViBRANT and Pensoft with support
from Plazi as a continuation of the already existing taxpub based production
workflow at Pensoft (Zookeys, Phytokeys, etc.), which in turn warrants the
best possible dissemination and archiving of the content. This all is only
possible because of the rapidly advancing field of IT and its adaptation in
our domain.

I feel, that this is fostering the relevance of taxonomy, attracts more
people in the field, as shown by Philippe and others (eg ant taxonomy), and
hopefully makes our input a core input into initiatives such as IPBES.

Donat