Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Fri Jan 28 05:32:24 CST 2011

This thread begun with a wired article on the decline of taxonomists. And we
discuss now names.

This is one of the major contributor to make taxonomy obsolete, that we
fight about names instead of providing a system that allows us to
communicate inside, but even more, people from outside have access to what
we do.

Most of this discussion is a discussion about our past, and does not look
forwards where we do not have to carry along the huge backpack of
idiosyncrasies. We need to look forwards making use of the IT
infracstructure - and that's why it is important.

Rod page's lecture at the ViBRANT meeting is instructive, even without
words. Why continue to create pebbles of private interests and not connect
them to communicate properly?

http://www.slideshare.net/rdmpage/why-arent-we-there-yet slides 91pp

Donat