Frank.Krell at dmns.org Frank.Krell at dmns.org
Fri Jan 28 14:56:41 CST 2011

Tony,

yes, we are in discussions with Zoological Record exploring whether and how a collaboration can be established.
The retrospective registration part is a massive task and currently deferred to a later time, when the new, user-friendly registration module of ZooBank is established and accepted.
It is probably no problem to import available data from secondary sources, online or printed (Catalogues etc.) into ZooBank, but then we would have just another database full of data of variable and unpredictable reliability. This might be, however, a first step. Then we (the user and contributor community) need to discuss how we vet the data, assigning them levels of reliability. We know that some cataloguers are anal enough to produce quite reliable catalogues, others aren't. The last and final quality control would be a verifying/validating step, i.e. a party different from the source of the data needs to validate the data. This party would work on behalf of the ICZN. This is the main property that would make ZooBank different from existing name databases: In the end, all nomenclatural data will be correct, validated, hence authoritative, easy to check with all the sources (original literature) online available.

The magnitude of this task is hardly imaginable. Later in the process of ZooBank development, we need to determine best strategies how to achieve the goal of validated data. By involvement of the (shrinking) taxonomic community, by involvement of validation centers (e.g. ZoolRecord), or by seeking massive funding that allows the ICZN to employ 20 full time "validators". Currently we are more concerned to provide a convincing proof of concept for the registration of newly published names and are working on a new, user-friendly version of ZooBank.

Cheers

Frank

Dr Frank T. Krell
Curator of Entomology