[Taxacom] Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections (SPNHC) annual meeting announcement”

Rabeler, Richard rabeler at umich.edu
Sun Jan 30 06:49:48 CST 2011

Apologies for cross-posting!

Hi Everyone,

We are most pleased to announce that the web site for the 2011 meeting in San Francisco is now up and running.  While there is more information to be added as planning progresses, all of the information that is necessary for you to get registered for the meeting and for lodging, call for abstracts information forms and information for travel grant applications should all be there and working.  We ask you to register on-line if at all possible.  If you need to fill out a hard copy and mail a check, instructions for doing that are available on the registration page under the tab marked “More Info”.

Just a couple of us have been working on this non-stop for the past two weeks, so if you see anything that doesn’t make sense, or find a link or form that doesn’t work, please let us know.  You can e-mail me at:   dtrock at calacademy.org<mailto:dtrock at calacademy.org>.

The link for the site is:

http://research.calacademy.org/spnhc

1)      To register for the meeting, you can register yourself and you can add a guest to your registration for all of the evening social events by choosing the ADD A Guest options.  You will be charged for all of the options that you selection in one transaction.  However, if you want to bring a guest on the field trips you will need to start from the beginning of the registration process, choose “Guest” as the registration type, and then you will be given only field trip choices to pick from.  You will have to run your credit card through again to pay for that transaction.  We apologize for the clumsiness of this process, but we had a short time to get the system set up and this was the quickest way to do it.  There are instructions on the meeting registration web page, and if you have any trouble, please be sure to contact us

2)      We have negotiated with the hotel for a few rooms for students.  A double occupancy room is normally $134 with the 3rd & 4th people paying an additional $20 each.  For students they will allow 4 students per room without paying the additional $20 for the 3rd and 4th people.  Since most institutions will not likely have 4 students attending, please encourage your students to try to pair up with other students to save some money!!

3)      While the dates of the conference are 23-28 May, please note that the workshop on georeferencing will take place on 21-22 May.

We are looking forward to seeing you in San Francisco in May!

Best Regards,

Dr. Debra Trock
Senior Collections Manager
Botany Department