Richard Zander Richard.Zander at mobot.org
Sun Jan 30 13:23:00 CST 2011

The average is misleading. I've seen a publication a while back demonstrating that the number of species per genus in botany is a distributional curve, with lots of monotypic or bitypic genera and a few huge genera with lots of species, and a spectrum of genera with various numbers of species. I doubt that the human ability to sort by 7's is relevant. (Sevens? Five is the limit for me.)

Richard H. Zander
Web sites: http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/resbot/ and http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/bfna/bfnamenu.htm
Modern Evolutionary Systematics Web site: http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/resbot/21EvSy.htm