[Taxacom] Fwd: Re Funding biodiversity?

Sergio Vargas sevragorgia at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 11:13:17 CST 2011

  Sure,

yet I still would like to know if a funding agency would rather back-up
a project on biogeography/phylogeography with a strong taxonomic
component or a taxonomic project including revisionary work, sampling,
etc. with a strong biogeographic/phylogeographic component. My feeling
is that if say you'll do taxonomy in order to been able to further
proceed in other direction agencies tend not to support your proposals,
if you do it the other way around placing taxonomy as a necessary step
for "more advance research" then it's all ok... just a feeling
perhaps... but if true this would mean that there is a bias in the
reviewer pool (that think taxonomy is not "advanced research" whatever
that means) or that taxonomist are not able to communicate that their
field is actually advance research.

sergio