[Taxacom] Career Opportunity: MBG Press Managing Editor, Missouri Botanical Garden
Jim.Solomon at mobot.org
Fri Jul 8 17:09:26 CDT 2011
Career Opportunity with Missouri Botanical Garden
MBG Press Managing Editor
Summary of the position:
The Managing Editor manages the publication process of the quarterly
journal manuscripts, the Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden and
NOVON, A Journal for Botanical Nomenclature. This includes processing
submitted manuscripts and acknowledging their receipt to the authors,
communicating with authors regarding the status of their submissions
during the review process, scheduling manuscripts for journal issues,
copyediting, collaborating with authors to finalize articles for
publication, and preparing journal issues for the printer. The Managing
editor also participates in the publication of books and monographs
published by MBG Press. This may include manuscript development,
copyediting, supervising layout and design, selecting printers, and
coordinating production with the printer until receipt of the bound
* Maintain journal production schedule in consultation and report
to the Scientific Editor.
* Assist with the production of marketing materials that promote
* Handles requests for permissions to reprint from Garden
* Manage relationships with freelance writers, editors and
* Investigate new book layouts, new & competitive printers (i.e.,
overseas color) and potential electronic venues for journal & book
* Represent Garden at annual conference events.
Qualifications and/or Experience:
* Minimum 7-10+ years of experience in journalism and publishing.
* Solid expertise with experience editing & managing the production
* Detail-oriented; possessing ability to work independently yet as
part of an editorial team; coordinate and prioritize multiple tasks
simultaneously, manage to sequential deadlines, and complete projects in
a timely manner.
* Exceptional ability to establish and maintain collaborative
working relationships with scientific authors in order to produce
* Strong business acumen and understanding of the financial
operating budget process; ability to develop and analyze spreadsheets
and reports to manage all aspects of publication production.
* Forward thinking individual who is interested in new developments
and technologies and their possible applications to the Missouri
* Scheduling flexibility that allows working occasional evenings
and weekends as needed.
* Occasional domestic and international travel required.
* Demonstrates highest level of professional and ethical conduct,
* Bachelor's degree in Natural Sciences, Humanities, English, or
related field required.
* An equivalent combination of skills, education and experience may
For more information please visit our website
Link to comprehensive posting and online application:
Application Deadline: July 29, 2011
For more information about the Missouri Botanical Garden please see our
website: www.mobot.org <http://www.mobot.org/>
E-mail: recruiting at mobot.org <mailto:recruiting at mobot.org>
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
More information about the Taxacom