[Taxacom] ISE - new subject issue on Cretaceous Insects

Frank.Krell at dmns.org Frank.Krell at dmns.org
Sun Jul 24 12:43:29 CDT 2011

If those "families" originated in the Cretaceous, they were single species at the time. So it was species diversity, not different to any species diversity at any other time. Those species might have looked all pretty similar, if we do not expect hopeful monsters to appear as a regular mechanism in evolution. I guess what is meant is that in the Cretaceous, many taxa that we currently rank as families were already sufficiently divergent so that we can classify them in modern day families.

On another note, the argument that if was the golden age at family level is, hopefully, tautological. We nowadays classify higher taxa that originated in the Cretaceous as families. Then, of course, the Cretaceous was the golden age for family origins, because it was the age when families originated. Well, I am quite aware that we are far from coordinating rank with geological age although I think such would be the only principle that could justify ranking. I am also aware that in most case we might recognize higher taxa in the fossil record only if they have sufficiently morphologically diverged from their ancestors and their sister group. All tricky.

Frank

Dr. Frank-T. Krell
Curator of Entomology
Chair, ICZN ZooBank Committee