[Taxacom] "Tenuinucelli" clade in eudicots?

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at mobot.org
Tue Mar 1 11:24:04 CST 2011

One of the problems with cladistics is that it has lots of principles about how things should be done. One of the principles is that only sister groups can have synapomorphies. Why can't taxa somewhat distant on a tree have synapomorphies? All this means is that they have a deep shared ancestor at that taxon level.

Thus, Jim, your discussion of " agreement on the shared traits" assumes that only agreement is necessary for systematics to proceed. But, no, simply agreeing on a nonfalsifiabe nonscience principle does not advance science. {{macro)).

Richard H. Zander
Web sites: http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/resbot/ and http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/bfna/bfnamenu.htm
Modern Evolutionary Systematics Web site: http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/resbot/21EvSy.htm