[Taxacom] "Tenuinucelli" clade in eudicots?

John Grehan jgrehan at sciencebuff.org
Tue Mar 1 11:53:36 CST 2011

"Why can't taxa somewhat distant on a tree have synapomorphies?"

I presume this means the 'same synapomorphies' - otherwise the question would not make sense (since taxa on any tree can have synapomorphies). But if a distant tree is distant, then the similarities do not of themselves appear as synapomorphies, but their distribution may be congruent with a pattern of relationship encompassing the two groups that are established by other characters such that they might be considered to have been lost in those taxa where they are not present.

At least that's the way I would reason it - not that I cam a cladistic theorist (nothing like expressing opinions out of ignorance)

John Grehan