[Taxacom] Social aspects of paraphyly

Frederick W. Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Thu Mar 3 22:02:59 CST 2011

On 3/3/2011 10:06 PM, Jim Croft wrote:
> Thank you, Taxacom.  And that is why taxonomic papers never have LOL
> punchline conclusions and why we never get invited to any of the good
> parties...

* well, folks who study non-avian Dinosaurs are necessarily
paleontologists, not herpetologists.

Herpetology, like many other "taxonomic-group" disciplines, is delimited
by the more-or-less related organisms that are studied by a generally
uniform methodology, not by the monophyly of its subjects.

And since a good party is defined as one where there's the opportunity
to talk about herpetology and the herpetologists who aren't present...

fred.

> On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Kenneth Kinman<kennethkinman at webtv.net>  wrote:
>> Hi Bob,
>>       It's a cute cartoon, but unfortunately the cartoonist was making
>> fun of the wrong group.  It is not ornithologists as a group that are
>> advocating "folding" birds into reptiles.  It is actually herpetologists
>> (especially dinosaur herpetologists) who INSIST that birds ARE dinosaurs
>> (and thus reptiles), rather than the more moderate view that birds are
>> better regarded as just reptile descendants (which they clearly are).
>>       So if one is going make fun of paraphylophobia, it should be
>> directed more at herpetologists, NOT ornithologists.  Not that all
>> herpetologists are guilty of such phobic behavior, but there are now so
>> many dinosaur herpetologists out there that are paraphylophobic that
>> they tend to dominate the herpetological literature when it comes to an
>> insistence on strict paraphyly.  On the other hand, there is no obvious
>> reason to assume that ornithologists as a whole support such an extreme
>> paraphylophobic approach to classification.
>>         ------------ Ken Kinman

>> The Taxacom archive going back to 1992 may be searched with either of these methods:
>>
>> (1) http://taxacom.markmail.org
>>
>> Or (2) a Google search specified as:  site:mailman.nhm.ku.edu/pipermail/taxacom  your search terms here

           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Thirty Years Later Expedition -
http://fragileinheritance.org/projects/thirty/thirtyintro.htm
Longterm ecological monitoring - http://fragileinheritance.org/