[Taxacom] The strain between Wikipedia and Science

Francisco Welter-Schultes fwelter at gwdg.de
Fri Mar 4 10:46:44 CST 2011

>> For those interested in why not more scientists participate in
>> disseminating their knowledge through Wikipedia:
>>
>> Consider helping Wikipedia to improve by filling in the following
>> survey: http://survey.nitens.org/?sid=21693

> The taxonomy needs more citations, and I do wish there was more on the
> folks in our field, but they keep getting deleted.

Hi koibeatu,

I got some feedback by a WP editor in response to what I wrote to Taxacom
a few weeks ago. The usual way they react is by saying "well, you have to
follow the WP rules strictly, and if you do that you will have no
problems".

I do not have the feeling they really like to understand the problems we
have with WP and I also do not have the feeling that they really would
like to change anything. Frankly said, I have not understood why they
started this survey at all, and who was really responsible (both for
initiating it and for taking action afterwards). First they like to listen
to our problems, then we tell them our problems, and then they say "these
problems do not exist". This is a waste of time.

In such a situation I would not expect that anything can be done to
improve the situation. They have shown no visible outlines for possible
solutions, not even outlines for possible strategies to find ways to think
about improving something.

Francisco

University of Goettingen, Germany