[Taxacom] The strain between Wikipedia and Science

dipteryx at freeler.nl dipteryx at freeler.nl
Fri Mar 4 11:33:38 CST 2011

Van: taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu namens Francisco Welter-Schultes
Verzonden: vr 4-3-2011 17:46

> I got some feedback by a WP editor in response to what I wrote
> to Taxacom a few weeks ago. The usual way they react is by saying
> "well, you have to follow the WP rules strictly, and if you do
> that you will have no problems".

***
Yes, that covers everything. If one follows all the rules created
by person A (and his friends) one will have no problems with
A (and his friends). And if one follows all the rules created
by person B (and his friends) one will have no problems with
B (and his friends).  And if one follows all the rules created
by person C (and his friends) one will have no problems with
C (and his friends). Etc.

I have never seen a case where an appeal to the central policies
on content was upheld. Only such things as a violation of copyright
are countered. Otherwise it is a free for all, with plenty of
battles to achieve a particular form (spelling, format, HTML-codes,
layout of templates, etc) or push particular point of view (or
commercial interest).
* * *

> I do not have the feeling they really like to understand the
> problems we have with WP and I also do not have the feeling
> that they really would like to change anything.

***
Many of the problems are well-known, with solutions long since
devised, but these are highly unpopular and are shouted down.
This has been institutionalized to the point that there are
lists of solutions which are not ever going to be adopted.

Paul