[Taxacom] Enquiry from Calodema - The Website of Dr Trevor J Hawkeswood

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Sun Mar 6 15:48:09 CST 2011

I agree completely with Alan: the only person who is harmed by Hawkeswood's
journal is Hawkeswood himself, and the only person who is harmed by Makhan's
papers is Makhan. They are like those deluded souls who go on American Idol or
whatever, only to be laughed at and eliminated in the first round. It is
surely an absurd argument to say that a discipline, like taxonomy, is brought
into disrepute by those who aren't very good at it! As for not being able to
ignore their poor quality work, well it is probably better taxonomy than
Linnaeus or Fabricius, and yet we cope with those OK. In a way, Hawkeswood
simply highlights the flaws in the system, such as the notion that in order to
be smart, you must have a PhD. His may be bought, but is that so different to a
token ethnic minority PhD that may not have otherwise been quite up-to-standard
without "extra help", or whatever other covert politics goes on in Academia ...

Stephen