[Taxacom] Academic rigour

Rob Smissen SmissenR at landcareresearch.co.nz
Sun Mar 6 16:24:51 CST 2011

Hi all

Have been following the discussion of recent junk taxonomy with interest and some amusement.

But, without wanting to point fingers or make accusations, I do want to object to Stephen Thorpe's remark about

"... a token ethnic minority PhD that may not have otherwise been quite up-to-standard without 'extra help'".

That makes me extremely uncomfortable and I hope it is no more than an ill-considered off-the-cuff remark and not an ugly bit of prejudice.

I am not familiar with any institutions that offer such a degree program.

Cheers
Rob