[Taxacom] Academic rigour

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Sun Mar 6 17:07:59 CST 2011

Hi Rob, and all,

>and not an ugly bit of prejudice
I would like some clarification of who exactly you think I am being prejudicial
towards? It was an entirely general remark intended to give one example of the
sorts of "politics" that might (and probably does, somewhere in the world, e.g.,
see http://www.hoover.org/publications/hoover-digest/article/7662 for something
along these lines) go on. Perhaps New Zealanders, like yourself, can be just a
wee bit oversensitive to such matters? I am only confident of once seeing
"positive discrimination" first hand in an academic institution, many years ago
now, which was when the opinion of one lecturer was shouted down by some of his
colleagues, which resulted in a student (who happened to be blind) getting
a perfect run of A+ grades... not a "race issue", but same principle. Perhaps
you deny that there is any link at all between race and rates of academic
achievement? Then I suggest you drive the few kilometres from Remuera down to
the slums of Glen Innes and look out the window ... get real! It has nothing to
do with levels of intelligence, just background and the prejudices of
(hopefully) the past ...

Stephen