[Taxacom] global names index gni as dead end?

Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Mon Mar 7 00:16:56 CST 2011

Following the thread on Calodema, I picked out a snake  published in
Calodema to see on Google what is known about this species and whether I can
find some images. What I found was the link to the Global Names Index, I
guess, because there is not so much online on this particular species.

What frustrated me immediately is, that there are just name strings in GNI.
Names attached to nothing. Not even an author. And then there are name
strings with an author and year, but they are not linked, not reference
given, and when one clicks to the source, it is just a dead end without
actually displaying the citation.

I think this is incredible for a new tool that wants to deal with all names,
and is supported by the Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF). We
don't know what's behind a particular name in a particular publication. But
now, we do not even now to what use of the name refers.

I always hoped, that especially institutions like GBIF, one of the main
player in the field of biodiversity informatics, would push that names are
linked to a publication in which links are provided to the materials
examined that allows to understand the species concept used in this
particular usage.

But no.

I am hoping, I am wrong.

Dr. Donat Agosti

President

Plazi

Research Associate, American Museum of Natural History and Naturmuseum der
Burgergemeinde Bern

Email: agosti at amnh.org

Web:  <http://antbase.org/> http://antbase.org /  <http://plazi.org/>
http://plazi.org