[Taxacom] global names index gni as dead end?

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Mon Mar 7 07:49:36 CST 2011

>  I am glad that I am wrong. At the same time, from a users point of view,
> don't care what's underneath

I agree -- and this is why I didn't originally think there should be a
user-interface.  I also don't think there should be a user-interface for
GNUB, per se.  Rather, I think there should be a set f services that orbit
GNA, that serve as the interface.  GNA should be more like DNS -- operating
silently in the background, used everyday by people who don't even know it
exists.

> IMHO GNI contributes, as is seen online, only to the increasing flury of
name
> servers. Why not have GNUB as the place where Google can get names

GNUB only exists in prototype form right now.  But more importantly, I don't
think that Google should index either GNUB or GNI -- it should index the
real databases that are linked to each other via GNA.  In an ideal world, I
don't think you'd ever see any GNI or GNUB page returned in a Google search.

Aloha,
Rich