[Taxacom] Taxonomy (and ICZN) mention in The Scientist

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Tue Mar 8 07:00:55 CST 2011

I'm probably going to regret this, but here goes. I'd suggest that the
divide is not between morphological taxonomy and molecular taxonomy,
but:

a) between those who have realised that "species" can be fuzzy and may
require sophisticated tools for their "discovery" (be it with
molecules or morphology) and those that expect the world to provide
nice, clean, macroscopic characters to delimit taxa. The world doesn't
always work this way, yet we can still do science.

b) between databases that underpin actual research (NCBI) and those
that don't (e.g., CoL, EOL).

I'd lost track of this debate, but if anyone, like me wants to catch
up, the original paper is http://dx.doi.org/10.1098/rspb.2010.0662,
the critique http://dx.doi.org/10.1098/rspb.2010.1330, and the reply http://dx.doi.org/10.1098/rspb.2010.1864
.

The three new taxa have NCBI tax_ids 797295-797297, so you can find
them here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Taxonomy/Browser/wwwtax.cgi?mode=Info&id=797295
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Taxonomy/Browser/wwwtax.cgi?mode=Info&id=797296
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Taxonomy/Browser/wwwtax.cgi?mode=Info&id=797297

(look at all the lovely data attached to them: sequences, specimen
codes, literature...).

Regards

Rod

On 8 Mar 2011, at 10:25, Bob Mesibov wrote:

> Nearly 9 months behind the discussion of the work on Taxacom (search
> 'New lizard species'), with posts from ICZN Commissioners, which
> flourised 5 months before the multi-author attack on the paper in
> Proc Roy Soc B.
>
> What's really interesting is to track the 3 new 'species' names
> through the usual channels. They aren't in CoL, EoL, ION or ZooBank,
> and they're listed as synonyms of Hemidactylus fasciatus in The
> Reptile Database (http://www.reptile-database.org/).
>
> However, you can find the new 'species' names and a taxonomic ID for
> each in NCBI and UniProt. Do I remember someone worrying about a
> potential divide, between morphological taxonomy and molecular
> taxonomy?
> --
> Dr Robert Mesibov
> Honorary Research Associate
> Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery, and
> School of Zoology, University of Tasmania
> Home contact: PO Box 101, Penguin, Tasmania, Australia 7316
> Ph: (03) 64371195; 61 3 64371195
> Webpage: http://www.qvmag.tas.gov.au/?articleID=570

> of these methods:
>
> (1) http://taxacom.markmail.org
>
> Or (2) a Google search specified as:  site:mailman.nhm.ku.edu/
> pipermail/taxacom  your search terms here

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy
Graham Kerr Building
University of Glasgow