[Taxacom] Update on ERA Journal Rankings

jbruhl at une.edu.au jbruhl at une.edu.au
Fri Mar 11 08:52:01 CST 2011

I have added three more journals to the file
http://www-personal.une.edu.au/~jbruhl/ERA-Plant-taxonomy-journals

namely,

Kew Bulletin (ranked at C, is seems low to me given the increase in
quality over the last few years under the editorship of Dave Simpson)

Blumea and
Edinburgh J Bot

There will of course be more journals that might usefully be on the list,
though when considering suggesting others to add, please consider that in
this case the main priority is journals which Australian researchers and
students publish in. Having said that, anyone can suggest a journal not
listed on the ERA website (https://roci.arc.gov.au/). Please read original
message below. Thanks, Jeremy.

Some of  you already know that the Australian Research Council (ARC) has
recently released a new "Review of the ERA 2010 Ranked Outlet Lists". This
is an international listing of journals and the review finishes 14 Mar
2011 Australian Local time.

In general, systematics journals, and particularly plant systematics
journals are ranked relatively low! No surprise to many of us and I will
not waste time arguing the point or explaining why I think that is the
case. I have made a list of some relevant journals and you can download
this small PDF from this link:
http://www-personal.une.edu.au/~jbruhl/ERA-Plant-taxonomy-journals

The ERA review is a critical and timely chance for us to make a difference
which has important flow on effects for systematics, especially in
Australia. This is a rare chance to make a difference by participating in
the public review (whether or not you live or work in Australia).

Whether you are inside our outside Australia, can you please take the time
to check the systematics journals you are interested in and make your
suggestions for their rankings (I hope either endorsing the ranking or
suggesting increasing the ranking!

The ARC site and registration link is
https://roci.arc.gov.au/

You will have to register, which is quick. There is a search engine for
finding relevant journals at the site, which works well.

Reviewing already listed journals; e.g. to recommend an increase in the
ranking takes a few minutes per journal, but you do have to comment on one
journal at a time.

It took me twice as long to recommend a journal for listing, but that is
important too.

The more recommendations on the same journal, I suspect, the more likely
the recommendations will be taken notice of.

If you can spare some precious time in the next couple of days, I would be
most grateful. The review closes 14 March Australian local time!

Here is some information to save you time:

If you search for a journal and it is not listed, a box at the top of the
screen will appear with Ā“Nominate a new Journal or ConferenceĀ”, click on
that to nominate the Journal.

If you need to find an ISSN or the start year of a journal, try searching
on the NLA website: http://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/610670

The FOR code I have used is 0603 which is the umbrella for systematics.
0603 - Evolutionary Biology

Please pass this onto colleagues likely to complete some positive reviews.
Many thanks.
Cheers
Jeremy

==================================