[Taxacom] The Plant List [re]Visited

Paul Kirk p.kirk at cabi.org
Sat Mar 12 02:46:12 CST 2011

What the f... is going on here: http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/record/tro-35100136 - Kindbergia praelonga (Hedw.) Ochyra?

One homotypic name has low confidence as a synonym whilst two other homotypic names have medium confidence. And what happened to the basionym Hypnum praelongum Hedw.? It's in the source dataset (identified as the basionym) together with all it's homotypic synonyms, some of which are missing from TPL!

But wait, here is the answer, TPL has the homotypic name Eurhynchium praelongum (Hedw.) Schimp. as another accepted species (citing Mr T as a source) with Stokesiella praelonga (Hedw.) H. Rob. as a homotypic synonym.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying things need to be perfect first time out but ... were there no nomenclaturalist involved in compiling TPL?

Paul

p.s. there is a little laspsus in 'original publication details: Lindbergia 8: 54 54 1982' which I bet a taxonomist can spot ... :-)