[Taxacom] Provisional species name

Urmas Kõljalg urmas.koljalg at ut.ee
Wed Mar 16 11:36:06 CDT 2011

Hello,

Thank you for everybody who replied personally or through the list!

I am interested to know the whole topic. How to handle provisional (informal) names in biodiversity/molecular databases and how to build provisional names. Specifically how to build and handle the names of "new" species which are based on DNA sequences only. Ecologists and taxonomists need anchor for such cases in order to communicate in their research papers. And such species names must be part of the web based keys. Databases and automated keys can easily handle provisional names if they exist.

Australian CHAH/HISCOM standard system for building informal names seems to be quite useful. However I still personally support Linnean system. Because it is easy, universal and there is no better system available in my knowledge. So, why should we build another system which will make in my mind everything less clear and more difficult to handle?
What actually will preclude the implementation of latinised provisional names? The major problem seems to be that we will introduce not validly published names. But such names are generated anyway. So, why not to go forward and implement system for the registration of provisional names which follow Linnean system? Including type specimen or type sequence, authorship, date/time and some other mandatory metadata?

If we still need another system for the informal names why not to use for the epithet ID of the "type specimen" (like UPS123001) or GenBank ID of the "type sequence". Provisional names should have type material/sequence anyway because otherwise they are useless for the scientific communication purposes.

Best wishes,
Urmas