[Taxacom] paraphylophobia

John Grehan jgrehan at sciencebuff.org
Thu Mar 17 11:04:31 CDT 2011

My point was that such terms are perjorative. Phobia is usually used in the context of not being rational. Technically anything that is not recognized is suppressed but whether such suppression is a phobia is another matter entirely. If paraphyletic groups have no real existence other than as arbitrary constructs then I'm not sure that 'suppression' could apply other than suppression of something that is not existent which would have to be existent to be suppressed. I'm no philosopher so perhaps this is nonsense. But back to my main point, calling viewpoints phobic is not productive anymore than I might call someone panbiogeographophobic or vicariancephobic etc.

John Grehan